Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Paul Walker

I'm sure by now you all have heard the news.

This past Saturday, November 30th, Paul Walker and his friend, died in a horrific car accident. After the news first broke, many fans were stunned, refusing to believe and hoping against hope that it was a hoax until reps and respected news sources confirmed. Since the confirmation, I've been in a state of shock myself. It wasn't until late Sunday night when I finally let it sink in and the heavy sadness came over me.

Sometimes it's hard for people to understand the emotion a fan feels when a beloved actor/musician/author passes. I get it. And it can be hard to explain. We do not personally know the person, but there are moments and glimpses into their lives through their work and articles where it feels like we come to know them. Then the sudden loss stings and thoughts of them never being in a future piece for us to enjoy makes things emotional. I really relate.


There have been several celebrity passings that have affected me emotionally throughout my life. I never met them. I didn't feel like I'd had to in order to have the sense of somewhat knowing them as a person.

I'd seen and come to know Paul Walker from various roles and through interviews since I was in high school. He'd been one of my celebrity crushes. Gorgeous. Seemingly down-to-earth, animal lover and humanitarian, car enthusiast, healthy, funny from some of his roles. I admired him anyway. I felt like he could have been one of those celebrities that if I'd ever had the opportunity of meeting, I would've been comfortable around, someone to make an easy friendship with maybe. That's the vibe he always gave in interviews and that's why I think his passing had such an emotional impact on so many people and fans.

I don't want to sound like a broken stereo with a repeat of the same thing so many others have said or go on and on about the accident like all the other articles. Instead, I just wanted to post a short snippet here for the blog in memory of him. I'm sure he will always be remembered and named among lists of favorites and too-soon sad losses.

I know he's done many other movies besides Fast & the Furious, but I still would have to say it's my favorite of his. What's yours? And I'm planning to do some movie marathon-ing this weekend.


So, I'm going to leave this off with some smiles.



 
 
 
"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry, because I was smiling." --Paul Walker
1973-2013
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment