Sunday, January 19, 2014

UNDER THE GUNN Turns "Make It Work" Into 'Make It Underwhelming...'





If you’ve watched Project Runway at all in the past several years, then you’re probably like me: a big fan of Tim Gunn. For a long time, I wondered when he was going to get his own show because he certainly needed it. The man is an incredible inspiration, not just in the fashion world, but as a mentor and in the gay community. He is someone I would love to meet. And honestly, I’ve never been a big fan of the whole fashion industry. I just adore him as a person. If it weren’t for him on the show, I likely would’ve stopped watching a few seasons back (and also must note that because he’s not on Project Runway: All Stars, I believe it’s a big reason why I can’t seem to get into that portion of the show most of the time).

So Mr. Tim Gunn finally got his own show and fans began to rejoice everywhere at this news! I was excited for sure, despite that it basically looked like another version of Project Runway in the previews I’d seen. I wasn’t going to jump to conclusions right away though. I waited until its premiere this past Thursday (1-16) and cast my judgment then, hoping to set aside my Tim Gunn bias at the same time.

The basic idea of this show is pretty simple. I’d easily describe it as The Voice for fashion design. You have a group of designers competing, along with three mentors. The mentors choose their groups, and as the show progresses and each designer gets sent home from whichever team it is, if a mentor loses everyone on their team, they are out as well. The designers compete in various challenges like Project Runway while being judged, etc. It’s all an interesting concept in some ways, but mostly I was disappointed by the whole approach. I think it’s because it’s something I’ve seen done too much through a variety of reality competition shows--and the three mentors have never really been favorites among mine (Nick, Mondo, and Anya).

The competing designers were also not impressive. Out of the premiere episode, not one stuck out particularly to me. Perhaps I’ll find one among the crowd if I continue watching over the next few weeks. I would like to think so anyway. Once again I find myself watching just because I want to support Tim Gunn and it is his show. But I can’t help but wonder why he was stiffed with such a repetitive, underwhelming, ho-hum debut when he obviously deserved so much more?


 


Let’s see how it’ll turn out by the end of the season. ;)



 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.

    Would you be interested in trading links with my blog?
    My blog covers a lot of interesting and helpful posts just like yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. And also, I think you'll love my recent blog post titled How To Know If A Girl You Like Is No Longer Attracted To You

    I'm hoping to hear from you too and quickly, you've got a great blog here.

    Daniel.

    ReplyDelete